Earl Grey fruit cake
Prep time:plus soaking overnight
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 6 Earl Grey Tea bags
- 500g packet dried mixed fruit
- 250g light soft brown sugar
- 300g self-raising flour
- 150g butter, melted
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
You will also need:
- 18cm (7in) round cake tin, lined with baking parchment
The cake may be wrapped in a freezer bag, sealed and frozen for up to 1 month. Allow cake to defrost before serving.
- Place the teabags in a bowl and pour over 300ml (1/2 pint) boiling water. Leave the tea to infuse for about 5 minutes, then remove the teabags from the water, squeezing them to extract as much of the flavour as possible. Add the dried mixed fruit to the hot tea, cover the bowl loosely and leave the fruit overnight to absorb the flavour of the tea.
- Set the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2
- Stir the sugar, flour, butter and egg into the fruit and mixwell. Spoon the mixture into the lined cake tin and level the surface.
- Bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours, oruntil the cake feels just set in the centre and a skewer comes out clean afterbeing inserted into the cake.
- Place the tin on a wire rack to lift it above the work surface, and leave the cake to cool in the tin.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 380(kcal)
- Fat 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.