Skill level: Easy peasy
This quick couscous recipe is similar to a kedgeree but as it uses couscous rather than rice it's much quicker to whip up. A great quick and healthy family meal
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g packet frozen kipper fillets with butter, thawed
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2tsp curry powder or garam masala
- 175g mixed frozen peas and green beans, thawed
- 200g couscous
- 400ml hot fish or vegetable stock
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 medium eggs, soft boiled for 7 minutes
This dish works well with any smoked or frozen fish - so to save money, look out for special offers in supermarkets or at your fishmonger.
- Heat the oil with the butter from the pack of fish in a frying pan. Add the diced oinoin and allow it to soften over a moderate heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, or garam masala, the vegetables and the skinned kipper flesh, broken up into chunks.
- Sprinkle in the couscous and pour in the stock. Turn off the heat and leave the mixture to stand for 5 minutes. When the stock has been absorbed, give it all a gentle stir and then season to taste.
- Meanwhile, shell the eggs, cut them into quarters and add to the couscous. Serve warm or cold.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 377(kcal)
- Fat 20.0g
- Saturates 6.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.