Macaroni shepherd's pie
IngredientsFor the meat layer:
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 med onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 400g packet lamb mince
- 250g packet mushrooms
- 2 level tbsp plain flour
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 lamb stock cube
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 175g macaroni
- 30g butter
- 30g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- 350g Red Leicester
- 1tsp made English mustard
- Salt and ground white pepper
Want to make this dish a little healthier - use lean turkey mince instead. Turkey mince can be found in most supermarkets.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- To make the meat layer, heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and carrot. Cook over a med heat for 5-7 mins, stirring occasionally, until they start to soften but not colour. Add the mince and mushrooms and cook until the meat has browned, stirring well. Add the flour and mix in well. Add the canned tomatoes and 150ml (¼ pint) water, bring to the boil and add the stock cube. Simmer sauce gently for 5-10 mins. Season and pour the mixture into an ovenproof dish.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water for 10-12 mins or until just tender, then drain well.
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter, stir in the flour and beat well. Gradually beat in the milk. Bring the sauce to the boil, then simmer it for a few mins. Stir in most of the cheese and the mustard, and season. Remove pan from the heat when the cheese has melted and stir in macaroni.
- Spoon the macaroni cheese over the meat layer, then sprinkle over the reserved cheese.
- Bake in centre of the oven for 30-40 mins or until cheese is bubbling. Serve immediately. To freeze: The pie may be made up to end of step 5, then frozen. Let it defrost well before cooking.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 725(kcal)
- Fat 45.0g
- Saturates 23.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.