Baked cheese with maple syrup glaze
Skill level: Easy peasy
Oven bake this semi-soft slightly nutty cheese with olive oil, fresh thyme and roasted pecan nuts. Drizzled with maple syrup this sweet and savoury cheese recipe tastes as good as it looks.
- 200g round Golden Cenarth cheese in a box
- 1tbsp olive oil
- A few sprigs thyme
- 50g roasted and salted pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 2tbsps light muscovado sugar
- 2tbsps amber maple syrup
- Crusty bread, to serve
It’s important to use a whole cheese, because triangular wedges will run as they’re heated.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Remove plastic from the cheese and replace it in its box. Put on a baking tray. Cut some slashes in the top, drizzle the oil and scatter thyme over it. Bake cheese for 10-15 mins, or until it starts to ooze.
- Spread the nuts out on another baking tray and heat them through in the oven for 4-5 mins.
- Put the sugar and maple syrup in a small pan and place over a low heat, stirring until the sugar melts. Bring to the boil and then simmer for a few mins until it’s thickened slightly.
- Stir half of the nuts into the syrup and pour over the cheese, then scatter over remaining nuts. Serve with crusty bread to scoop into the runny cheese.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 690(kcal)
- Fat 54.0g
- Saturates 22.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.