Roast chicken with lemon and parsley stuffing
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 1 medium chicken (approx. 1.5kg)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 3-4 sprigs of thyme
- 1-2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 125g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 3-4 level tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1 level tbsp freshly chopped thyme
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 50g butter, melted
- 1 medium egg
Don't forget to check the temperature of your chicken - it must be above 72°C
- Set the oven to 190°C/325°F/Gas Mark 5. Season the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper, then place the lemon wedges and thyme inside. Rub the olive oil over the skin of the chicken.
- Put the onion and carrots in the roasting tin, place the chicken on top and season.
- To make the stuffing, place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix together, then form into 6 balls. Chill them while the chicken is cooking.
- Place the chicken in the centre of the oven and cook for 1 hour, then put the stuffing balls around the chicken and cook for a further 20-30 mins, or until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced in the thickest part, and the stuffing balls have started to turn golden. For a more accurate check, use a probe thermometer and make sure the temperature is above 70°C.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven and transfer chicken, stuffing balls and vegetables to a hot serving plate, cover loosely with foil and leave in a warm place for the meat to rest. Even though the chicken isn’t in the oven, it will continue to rise in temperature and should reach at least 72°C. To freeze: Pack leftover chicken into freezer bags when cold and freeze for up to 1 month.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 522(kcal)
- Fat 47.0g
- Saturates 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.