Roast chicken soup
- 30g butter
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme
- 200-250g cooked chicken, shredded
- Croutons, to serve
- Sprigs of parsley, to garnish
This soup isn't suitable for freezing because it's made with cooked chicken which is heated again in teh cooking. If it were to be frozen, it would mean heating it three times which is against food safety recommendations
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the vegetables and cook over a medium heat for 10-15 mins until they start to soften but not colour.
- Pour the stock into the pan, add the thyme leaves and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup for 15 minutes. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for a further 5 mins to heat through.
- Remove the pan from the heat, pour half the soup into the bowl of a food processor and purée it, then pour it back into the pan and mix with the chunky soup. Serve the soup with croutons and garnished with a sprig of parsley.
Not sure what to do with leftovers? Our leftover chicken recipes are sure to inspire!
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 274(kcal)
- Fat 9.0g
- Saturates 5.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.