Mocha steaks with mushroom sauce
Skill level: Easy peasy
This delicious steak recipe combines the tangy flavour of coffee with a creamy mushroom sauce to make one mouth-watering dish. Served with a handful of pasta, this recipe is perfect if you fancy trying something new for a change. This recipe serves 4 people and will take 35 mins to prepare and cook. A portion of this tasty dish works out at only 365 calories - with all the trimmings. The steak in this recipe is extra tender and the creamy mushroom and coffee infused sauce work wonders to make this dish extra special.
- 1tbsp finely ground coffee
- 1 rounded tsp cocoa powder
- 1tsp light brown sugar
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Good pinch each of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 x 150g fillet steaks
- A little oil for frying
- Fettucine and green beans, to serve
- 2tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion or 2 shallots, peeled and finely diced
- 125g mushrooms, chopped
- 1tbsp Kahlua, Tia Maria or brandy, optional
- 200ml hot chicken stock
- 4tbsp double cream
The fillet steaks should be at least 2.5cm (1in) thick, to ensure a good contrast between coffee crust and tender, melting meat inside.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Mix the coffee, cocoa, sugar and seasonings on a large plate and coat the steaks well with the mixture on both sides.
- Heat a frying pan until just smoking, add a little oil and then the steaks — brown them for a minute on each side. Watch the coating doesn’t burn.
- Put the steaks on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 6 mins, turning once. Take out, cover loosely with foil and leave them to rest for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Heat the oil with the onion in a small frying pan. Cook for a few mins; add the chopped mushrooms and fry for about 5 mins, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat down and add the Kahlua, if using, then the stock. Bring to the boil, reduce by half, then add the cream and season. Cook until the sauce coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Slice the steaks, then fan them on the plate and spoon sauce over. Serve with pasta (or potatoes) and green veg.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 365(kcal)
- Fat 10.0g
- Saturates 23.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.