Minced beef and Cheddar baked potato
Skill level: Bit of effort
This oven baked jacket potato has a spicy and sweet tomato and beef filling and is topped with heaps of grated Cheddar. This tasty treat is ideal for those cold winter evenings when you're in the mood for dinner by the fire.
- 4 large baking potatoes (about 250g-300g each).
- 400g lean minced beef
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped and diced
- 45g grated Cheddar cheese
- 1tbsp oil
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce.
- Knob of butter
For a healthier alternative use extra lean turkey mince instead!
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Scrub and dry 4 large baking potatoes (about 250g-300g each). Prick them in several places with a fork.
- Bake directly on the oven shelf for 1 1⁄2 - 2 hours, until they feel soft when you squeeze them.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: Cook a peeled, chopped and diced onion in 1 tbsp oil for 3-4 mins. Add 400g lean minced beef and fry for 5 mins. Add a 400g can of chopped tomatoes, a crushed beef stock cube and 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 30 mins to make a thick sauce. Season well.
- Halve the baked potatoes lengthways, scoop out the flesh into a large bowl, add seasoning and a good knob of butter, and mash well. Spoon mince mixture in to the potato shells on a baking tray, then top with the mash. Sprinkle with about 45g grated Cheddar cheese. Put back in the oven to bake for 15-20 mins, or brown under the grill.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 216(kcal)
- Fat 9.0g
- Saturates 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.