Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These easy vegetarian burritos are simply made by wrapping a soft flour tortilla around a spicy filling, this burrito recipe is Mexican classic. Easy to make, they are perfect for informal suppers just supply the hot filling and warmed tortillas and everyone can make their own. If you prefer a meaty filling add some cooked shredded chicken or strips of fried steak to the rice mixture. Serve with a crisp side salad, sliced jalopeno peppers, salsa and soured cream. This recipe serves 4 people and takes 40 mins to make in total.
- 2tsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 200g easy-cook long-grain rice
- 1tbsp mild chilli powder
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 4tbsp tomato puree
- 210g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 small wheat flour tortillas, warmed
- ½ Little Gem lettuce, shredded
- Fresh chopped basil, to garnish
For a more authentic taste replace the kidney beans with 200g refried beans.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 5 mins. Stir in the rice and chilli powder and fry for 1 min then add the stock and tomato puree. Simmer for 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in the kidney beans and heat through gently.
- Season the rice mixture with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Divide between the warmed tortillas. Scatter over the shredded lettuce and roll up each tortilla to enclose the filling. Serve immediately garnished with basil.