Mini banana and walnut loaves
IngredientsFor the cakes:
- 125g butter, softened
- 250g light muscovado sugar
- 300g plain flour
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 4tbsp milk
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 100g packet walnut pieces, chopped
- 6 level tbsp icing sugar
- 12 x mini loaf moulds on a baking tray
- Small disposable piping bag
You can buy these mini loaf moulds from lots of cookware stores including Lakeland
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until well combined, then sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Lightly beat together the eggs, milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract and pour into the bowl. Beat the ingredients well, then fold in the mashed banana and about three-quarters of the walnuts. Divide the mixture between the loaf moulds and sprinkle the remaining walnuts over the top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-30 mins, or until they’ve risen and are just firm to the touch. Take them out of the oven and leave to cool.
- To make the topping, add sufficient water to the icing sugar to give a drizzling consistency, adding just a small amount at a time. Fill the piping bag with the icing and cut off the end of the bag, then drizzlethe icing over the top of the cakes. Leave the icing to set before packing the cakes.
- The cakes will keep for up to 5-7 days in a cool, dry place.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 390(kcal)
- Fat 16.0g
- Saturates 7.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.