Chocolate ice cream
Prep time:plus freezing
Cooking time:cooling time
Skill level: Bit of effort
Why not make your own home made chocolate ice cream, it is so much nicer than shop bought and you can add lots of extra ingredients too. Why not stir fudge pieces, marshmallows, broken cookies or a ripple of chocolate sauce through the ice cream before you freeze it.
- 300ml single cream
- 150g plain dark chocolate, grated
- 4 egg yolks
- 75g caster sugar
- 300ml double cream
This will be such easier to make and creamier in texture if churned in an ice cream machine, just follow the manufacturers instructions
- Heat the single cream to just below boiling point. Remove from the heat; add the chocolate and leave to melt.
- Whisk together the eggs yolks and sugar until thick and creamy, then whisk in the chocolate cream mixture. Return the mixture to the saucepan and stir over a very low heat until the mixture thickens just enough to thinly coat the back of a wooden spoon. Do not allow the mixture to boil or it will curdle.
- Leave the mixture to cool then pour in the double cream and stir well. Pour the mixture into a freezer container and freeze for about 2 hours until the edges have frozen.
- Remove from the freezer and use a fork to break up the ice crystals and beat until smooth. Freeze again and beat after an hour or so. Repeat 2-3 times until smooth, then freeze overnight until firm.
- Remove from the freezer 30 mins before serving