- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 med onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 500g minced beef
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 level tbsp plain flour
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 beef stock cube
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Got some leftover? This basic mince recipe can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan or large frying pan, add the onion and carrots and cook over a med heat for about 5 mins, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have started to soften. Add the beef to the pan and cook for about 5-10 mins, stirring to break up the meat, until it browns. Once the meat is crumbly, stir occasionally to prevent it sticking and burning, but don’t keep stirring it, otherwise it just cools the mixture, rather than letting the meat brown. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for a few mins.
- Sprinkle over the flour, then mix it in well and heat for 3-4 mins to cook the flour. The flour will absorb the fat that comes out of the meat, which will then thicken the sauce.
- Pour in the can of tomatoes, sprinkle in the stock cube and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring continually, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 mins, until it thickens slightly and the vegetables are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving, or use it as a base for another recipe. If the sauce seems very thick, just add a little boiling water. To freeze: Cool the mixture quickly, then freeze it in a suitable container or freezer bag for up to 3 mths. Allow the sauce to defrost before reheating. Line plastic containers with freezer bags before pouring the mixture in, to avoid the red from the tomatoes staining the plastic.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 385(kcal)
- Fat 24.0g
- Saturates 5.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.