Pippa Middleton's Boxing Day ham
Skill level: Bit of effort
This succulent Boxing Day ham is a favourite of Pippa Middleton. Oozing with flavour and cooked in apple juice and cider, this sweet ham is perfect for Christmas or a Sunday roast alternative
- 2kg boned ham joint
- 2 litres apple juice
- 2-3 litres cider
- 1 leek
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion
- 2tsps black peppercorns
- 4tbsps marmalade
- 3tbsps soft brown sugar
- 10 garlic cloves
The ham is completely cooked in the liquid, so can be stored for up to 3 days before you add the glaze and roast it
- Put a 2kg boned ham joint in a large pan with 2 litres apple juice, 2-3 litres cider and enough water to cover.
- Add 1 trimmed and coarsely sliced leek, 2 coarsely sliced celery stalks, 2 bay leaves, 1 peeled and chopped onion and 2 tsps black peppercorns and bring to the boil. Skim off any scum.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 2 hrs, until the ham is tender.
- Drain the ham and discard the vegetables and other flavourings. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6. Mix together 4 tbsps marmalade and 3 tbsps soft brown sugar to form a paste. Remove the skin from the ham and score the fat.
- Spread on the marmalade mixture, then stud with 10 cloves and roast for 45 mins, until golden and glistening.