Pippa Middleton's Nutella madeleines
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Pippa Middleton has turned her hand to baking for new book Celebrate and we have her recipe for these delicious chocolate madeleines. Pippa says: 'These chocolate covered Nutella madeleines are irresistible to both adults and children and so easy to make. Nutella isn’t just for spreading on toast! You can also try using white or plain chocolate spread instead.'
- 75g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus extra for greasing
- 2tbsps plain flour, for dusting
- 75g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 60g self-raising flour
- 15g good-quality cocoa powder
- 125g Nutella
- 60g icing sugar
- 30g hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
To make plain madeleines, leave out the cocoa powder from the recipe above and increase the flour to 75g. Add the finely grated zest of ½ a lemon, and bake as directed. Dust with a little icing sugar before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Brush two Madeleine tins with melted butter. Dust with plain flour, invert the tins and tap out the excess.
- Place the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract in a large bowl and whisk together for at least 5 minutes or until pale, thick and able to hold a trail on the surface.
- Carefully sift the self-raising flour and cocoa powder over the mixture, then fold in with a large metal spoon.
- Pour the melted butter down the edge of the bowl and fold it in quickly and gently.
- Spoon 1 tbsp of the mix into each of the Madeleine moulds. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack using a palette knife and leave to cool completely.
- To make the topping, mix together the Nutella, icing sugar and a touch of hot water to loosen the mixture slightly. Spread over the tops of the madeleines, and sprinkle over the chopped hazelnuts to serve.