Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These tangy lower-calorie orange muffins are full of sweet, citrusy flavour. They only take 20 mins to bake and are perfect if you fancy trying something new. Bake a batch and pop one in the kids lunchbox for a special treat.
- 240ml low-fat milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½tsp salt
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 3tsp granulated sugar substitute
- 250g sifted all-purpose flour
- 60g margarine, melted
- 2tsp finely grated orange rind.
If you want to decorate these muffins, top with a simple vanilla buttercream so it doesn't overpower the taste of the orange
- Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Spray muffin tin with non-stick coating agent.
- Sift dry ingredients into medium-size bowl.
- In separate bowl, combine egg with milk, margarine, and orange rind. Beat with fork or whisk to mix thoroughly.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Pour in liquid ingredients; stir quickly until dry ingredients are just moistened and mixture is still slightly lumpy.
- Divide batter into muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full.
- Bake 15 to 20 mins, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Loosen edges of muffins. Let stand 1 or 2 minutes. Turn onto cooling racks.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 130(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.