Jasmine rice pudding with festive fruit
- 600ml full cream or semi-skimmed milk
- 30g caster sugar
- 60g Thai Jasmine rice or pudding rice
- 1 lime
- 1tbsp chopped pistachio nuts
For the fruit base:
- 100g fresh or frozen cranberries
- 100ml cranberry juice drink
- 1 ripe apple or pear
- 2 pieces of stem ginger, chopped, and 2 tbsps ginger syrup (from the jar of stem ginger)
- Knob of butter
- 4 small glasses, bowls or cups
For even more Thai flavour, use a 400ml can of coconut milk, topped up with milk, and ¼ tsp ground cardamom (the seeds from about 12 pods).
- Pour the milk into a pan, add the sugar and rice. Cook over a medium heat for about 30 mins, stirring every few minutes, until thickened and the rice is tender. Pour into a bowl, then grate in some lime zest and stir 2in the juice. Leave to cool.
- To make the fruit base: Simmer the cranberries with the juice drink in a small pan for 5 mins. Peel and chop the apple or pear, add to the pan and simmer for another 5 mins, then stir in the chopped ginger, syrup and butter to make a thick sauce. Leave to cool.
- Spoon the fruit into glasses, then top with the rice and sprinkle with the pistachios.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 274(kcal)
- Fat 8.0g
- Saturates 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.