Prep time:plus chilling time
Total time:plus chilling time
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A fresh tasting salsa can liven up grilled, fried or barbecued meat or fish or simply be served as a dip for spicy tortilla chips or toasted pitta. Pick firm but ripe on-the-vine tomatoes or plum tomatoes to make this salsa. Prepare it at least one hour before serving or up to one day in advance to allow the flavours to develop fully and the acid from the lime and tomatoes to gently soften the onion
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 red chilli pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1tbsp lime juice
- ½tsp caster sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Add some fresh chopped herbs such as mint or coriander to give extra flavour and colour.
- Place a third of the chopped tomatoes in a food processor or blender and process for a few seconds until just pureed. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the rest of the chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic, chilli, lime juice and sugar and mix well. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hr before serving.