Anna Hales' African-style chicken stew
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This classic African-style chicken stew, made by goodtoknow user Anna Hales, is oozing with spicy flavour. Packed full of tender chicken, sweet red peppers and smooth peanut butter, this tasty dish is perfect if you fancy feeding the family something a little different
- 3 onions
- 2 cloves garli, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 3 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp tabasco sauce
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 500ml chicken stock
- 200g smooth peanut butter
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped
- Bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- Lime wedges to serve
Not a fan of spice? Leave out 1tsp tabasco sauce and replace with tomato ketchup instead.
- Slice the onions finely and fry for around 5 mins until soft. Add the garlic and all the spices and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stock and the peanut butter and stir until the peanut butter is mixed in well.
- Add the drumsticks and simmer for 30 mins, stirring regularly.
- Add the red peppers and the sweet potatoes and cook until the potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the chopped corriander. Serve with rice and a wedge of lime.