Anna Hales' sausage and lentil casserole
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
goodtoknow user Anna Hales made this delicious and succulent sausage and lentil casserole as a tasty mid-week option. Cooking sausages in a casserole makes them extra tender and flavours the rest of the stock with a lovely meaty taste. So if you're in need of some inspiration for dinner, this dish is sure to go down a treat
- 8 sausages
- 4 onions
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 4tbsp tomato puree
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 150g quinoa
- 150g puy lentils
- 2tsp smoked paprika
- 150ml red wine
- 150ml vegetable stock
- Chopped fresh parsley to garnish
Turn this dish into a vegetarian option by using veggie sausages or quorn sausages found in most supermarkets
- Brown the sausages in a frying pan and then take off the heat. (Anna used paprika and chipotle sausages, but these can be substituted with any type of sausage.)
- Finely slice the onions and fry in the olive oil in a large pan until soft, then add the sliced red pepper and garlic and fry for a further 5 mins.
- Add all the remaining ingredients: smoked paprika, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, stock, red wine, lentils, quinoa and the sausages.
- Cook for 30 mins, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and the sausages are cooked through.
- Sprinkle with some chopped fresh parsley and serve with crusty bread.