Prep time:plus chilling time
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Coleslaw is just one of those recipes that everyone loves, and goes so well with all kinds of meat and fish. This classic coleslaw recipe is easy to make and has a creamy delicious taste that goes perfect with BBQ meat such as burgers, kebabs and chicken. A crisp and crunchy coleslaw is the perfect side order to serve with jacket spuds, grilled meat or a slice of quiche. It also makes a super salad to serve as part of a cold buffet or barbecue. Itís quick and easy to make and can be prepared a few hours ahead Ė but donít make it too far in advance or the vegetables will lose their crunch. For a lighter dressing and to make this coleslaw recipe lower-fat replace the mayonnaise with low-fat mayo, natural yogurt or low fat fromage frais. If you want to give this classic coleslaw recipe a fiery twist, add a red chilli chopped and deseeded, it'll really turn up the heat!
Add some sliced celery and red skinned apple, chopped dried apricots and a handful of raisins or sultanas and replace the mustard with curry paste to make a curried fruity coleslaw.
- 4tbsp mayonnaise
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Ĺ white cabbage, trimmed and shredded
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- Place the mayonnaise, lemon juice and mustard in a large serving bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well to create the dressing for all your lovely coleslaw vegetables.
- Once you've peeled and sliced all your vegetables add the cabbage, onion and carrots and stir well to coat in the dressing. Cover and chill for 2-3 hrs before serving.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.