Makes: 10 servings
Total time:plus cooling time
Skill level: Easy peasy
This is so simple to make and very easy to vary according to your families likes and dislikes. Add flaked coconut instead of almonds, vary the seeds, and add whatever dried fruits and berries your family enjoy. Granola makes a healthy breakfast dish with yogurt and fresh fruit or sprinkle it over cooked fruit such as apples, plums, blueberries or rhubarb for a quick dessert.
- 300g jumbo rolled oats
- 75ml sunflower oil
- 4tbsp honey
- 75g shelled almonds
- 75g shelled hazelnuts
- 75g walnut or pecan halves
- 25g sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 100g dried fruits such as dried pineapple, mango, raisins
Instead of honey you can also use maple syrup or golden syrup or a mixture of the two.
- Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Place the oats in a large bowl and add the oil and honey. Mix well then stir in the remaining ingredients. Spread out on a large non-stick baking tray and bake for 20 - 25 mins, turning once or twice so that the mixture browns evenly. Leave to cool completely when it will crisp up.
- Add the dried fruits. Scoop into an airtight jar and store for up to 1 month. Serve with milk or yogurt and fresh fruit.