Makes: approx 500g
Prep time:plus overnight setting
Total time:plus overnight setting
Skill level: Master chef
Costs: Cheap as chips
Nougat is deliciously sweet confection made with sugar, honey, egg whites and nuts. It has a lovely firm but chewy texture and is perfect for an after dinner sweet treat or to give as a foodie gift. You値l need to invest in a sugar thermometer to check the sugar syrup has reached the correct temperature and take care when boiling the syrup as it will be extremely hot.
- 175g unblanched almonds
- 350g caster sugar
- 150ml water
- 50g liquid glucose
- 75ml clear honey, warmed
- 3 egg whites
You will also need:
- Rice paper
Liquid glucose helps to stop sugar crystals forming and prevent the nougat from becoming too brittle. You値l find it in the baking section of larger supermarkets.
- Preheat the oven to 170ｰC/325ｰF/Gas Mark 3. Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and roast for 15-20 mins until crisp and browned. Remove from the oven and cover and keep warm. Line the base of a shallow 18cm square cake tin with rice paper.
- Place the sugar and 150ml water in a heavy-based pan and heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Add the glucose and bring to the boil.
- Continue boiling until the mixture reaches 138ｰC/280ｰF on a sugar thermometer. Add the honey and boil to 143ｰC/290ｰF. Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites in a heatproof bowl until holding stiff peaks.
- Gradually pour the hot syrup in a very thin, steady stream into the egg whites, whisking all the time. Place the bowl over a pan of hot water and continue whisking until the mixture becomes firm and glossy. Remove from the heat and fold in the warm almonds.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and spread evenly. Cover with a sheet of rice paper, place a board on top and place weights on the board. Leave in a cool place overnight to set.
- Turn the set nougat out and cut into strips or small squares with a long sharp knife.