Moroccan chickpea cakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Combine chickpeas, spring onions and breadcrumbs to make these delicious vegetarian nibbles that are ideal for parties or buffets. Roll into balls and flatten before cooking. This Moroccan chickpea recipe makes 16 cakes which are bite-sized. Make sure you have a deep frying pan so you can fry them without any mess. Spices of paprika and ground cumin gives these vegetarian treats an extra kick that is just delicious. Serve with a creamy Greek yogurt based dip for a tasty finish and serve in a basket so people can help themselves. They’d also make the ideal starter or lunchbox filler.
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1tbsp oil
- 2 garlic, chopped
- 400g can chickpea, rinsed and drained
- 2-3 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 4tbsp breadcrumbs
- 4tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- ½tsp ground cumin
- ½tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 2-3tbsp polenta
A Greek yogurt based dip would work really well wish this recipe
- Fry onion in oil for 5 mins until softened. Add garlic, fry for 1 min. Put in a food processor with chickpeas, spring onions, breadcrumbs coriander, cumin, paprika, a little salt and pepper. Whizz to a coarse paste.
- Divide mixture into 16 portions, form into balls, then flatten to make cakes. Dip cakes in 2-3tbsp polenta to coat them. Fry in 2 batches in a little oil, for 2-3 mins each side.
- Serve with a dip made from Greek yogurt and harissa paste.