Skill level: Easy peasy
If you’re having a buffet or party to celebrate and are in need of a tasty, easy fish recipe make this creamy, seafood packed mousse as a simple starter or tasty party food. It’s best to buy smoked salmon from fish mongers as it’s usually cheaper but if you haven’t got time, visit the fresh meat and fish aisle in your supermarket. Fresh chives and lime add a great tangy flavour to this recipe which only takes 10mins to make in total. You could use cockles or squid rings instead of prawns. The crème fraiche makes this starter extra creamy along with the hot horseradish. Serve in a large bowl or individual glasses so your guests can help themselves.
- 200g smoked salmon
- 100g finely chopped cooked small prawns
- 100ml crème fraiche
- 1tbsp hot horseradish
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 4 cornichons, finely chopped
- 1tbsp freshly chopped chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 cocktail blinis
- Lime wedges, to garnish
You could use alternatives to prawns such as squid or cockles
- Finely chop the smoked salmon, then mash it down with a knife.
- Put in a large bowl with the finely chopped prawns.
- Add the crème fraiche, horseradish, the lime zest and juice, the chopped cornichons and the chopped chives.
- Season well. Stir gently to mix.
- Spoon into a bowl, serve with warmed cocktail blinis and lime wedges for guests to help themselves.