Skill level: Easy peasy
This warming punch is sure to get everyone in the festive spirit! Made with red wine gently simmered with brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves and a good slug of brandy it’s the perfect drink to welcome guests on a chilly evening. Prepare everything in advance and only start heating the punch a short while before serving, making sure that it doesn’t boil. Ladle into heatproof glasses straight from the pan or strain into a heatproof jug to serve.
- 1 small orange
- 6 cloves
- 1 bottle red wine
- 55g light soft brown sugar
- Few strips pared lemon rind
- 2 cinnamon sticks, plus extra to serve
- ½tsp finely grated nutmeg
- 75ml brandy
For a non-alcoholic punch replace the red wine with cranberry juice and add 250ml orange juice instead of the water and brandy.
- To begin making your Christmas cocktail stud the orange with the cloves and then cut it in half. Place the studded orange halves in a large pan with the wine, sugar, lemon rind, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in 200ml water.
- Heat gently, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer gently for 10 mins then stir in the brandy. Serve in heatproof glasses with a cinnamon stick.