Spicy chicken drumsticks
Prep time:plus marinating
Total time:plus marinating
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
With a tangy sweet and spicy glaze these spicy chicken drumsticks are great for a budget TV dinner served with salad and oven chips or potato wedges. Slashing the flesh of the drumsticks allows the marinade to penetrate the flesh and give loads of extra flavour. If you want to reduce the calorie content of this dish you can remove the skins from the drumsticks before marinating, however the skin does help to keep the flesh moist during cooking. For a curried marinade replace the sugar with 2 tbsp smooth mango chutney and instead of mustard add 2tsp medium curry paste.
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 8tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2tbsp dark soft brown sugar
- 2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tsp mustard powder
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- Fresh herbs and tomatoes, to serve
This marinade also works well with pork spare ribs or brush over grilled vegetable kebabs just before the end of cooking time.
- Mix the garlic, tomato ketchup, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder and oil in a bowl and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Make 2-3 deep cuts in the each chicken drumstick then add to the bowl and turn to coat completely in the marinade. Cover and leave to marinate at room temperature for 1hr or overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Transfer the drumsticks to roasting tin and roast for 35-40 mins until golden, lightly charred in places and cooked through. Serve garnished with fresh herbs and tomato wedges.