Chicken, bacon and pepper flatbreads
Skill level: Easy peasy
These chunky hot filled chicken, bacon and pepper flatbreads make a tasty change from the usual sandwich or toastie and are substantial enough for a filling evening meal served with a crisp green salad. Flatbreads come in all shapes and sizes and this recipe uses the thicker Turkish-style breads. To make your own flatbreads make up a packet of pizza base mix according to the packet instructions. Divide the dough into two and roll each piece out to a 20cm circle. Leave in a warm place for 30 mins then brush lightly with oil and cook in a very hot, heavy-based frying pan for 3-4 mins on each side until puffy and golden.
- 225g mini chicken fillets, skinned
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 4 smoked streaky bacon rashers
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 flatbreads
- 40g Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 4tbsp mayonnaise
- 2tsp dried Italian herbs
- Salad, to serve
Instead of the mayonnaise spread the flatbreads with spicy tomato salsa or soured cream and chive dip.
- Place the chicken fillets on a foil-lined grill pan and brush with half the oil Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and grill for 15-20 mins, turning frequently until golden and cooked through. Remove and keep warm.
- Grill the bacon and sliced peppers until the bacon is crisp and the peppers are just tender. Set aside with the chicken.
- Brush the flatbreads with the remaining olive oil and place under the grill. Sprinkle over the cheese and grill until the cheese has melted and browned. Spread the mayonnaise on the un-grilled side of the flatbreads and sprinkle over the dried herbs.
- Pile the chicken, bacon and peppers over one half of each flatbread. Fold the other half over the filling and serve immediately with salad.