Free-form cheese and chutney scones
Skill level: Easy peasy
These tasty baked scones make a delicious snack or accompaniment to homemade soup. Serve them warm for maximum deliciousness. For best flavour results, use mature or strong flavoured cheese
- 300g spelt or plain white flour
- 5tsp baking powder
- 100g butter or margarine
- 50g each finely grated fresh Parmesan and mature Cheddar cheese
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 3tbsp tangy tomato chutney
- Approx. 100ml whole milk
- 1 egg, beaten, to glaze
If you like blue cheese, replace the Cheddar with some crumbled Stilton instead, and for extra cheesiness, sprinkle some more grated cheese over the scones before you bake them.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 6. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Rub in the butter and stir in the cheese and spring onion.
- Make a well in the centre. Add the chutney and gradually blend in sufficient milk to bind the mixture together into a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently knead the dough until smooth, then divide into 8 portions and form each roughly into a round shape approx. 2cm thick.
- Arrange on a lightly greased baking tray and brush with egg. Bake in the oven for 15-18 mins until risen and golden. Best served warm, split in half and buttered.