Creamy porridge with honey and walnuts
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This humble breakfast cereal has never tasted so good. Sweet honey, crunchy walnuts and a creamy texture, finished off with fruity pear pieces and a little spice. Delicious!
- 200g Scottish porridge oats
- Pinch of salt
- 1.2l whole milk
- 4tbsp double cream (optional)
- 2 ripe pears
- 3tbsp clear honey
- 50g chopped walnuts
- Ground cinnamon to dust
For a less creamy porridge, replace the whole milk with either semi-skimmed or skimmed milk, and leave out the cream. Try mixing in grated apple or a generous handful of fresh blueberries instead of the pear.
- Put the oats in a saucepan with the salt and milk. Heat gently stirring until the mixture comes to the boil, then simmer gently for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, until the oats thicken and are completely tender. Stir in the cream if using.
- Meanwhile, peel and core the pears, then cut into small pieces.
- To serve, gently stir the chopped pear into the porridge and spoon into warm cereal bowls. Drizzle with honey and scatter with walnuts. Dust with cinnamon and serve immediately.