Ham and cheese pancake rolls
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
No one will be able to resist these savoury pancakes for breakfast. You can make up a batch of the pancakes the night before, and then reheat and fill them just before serving the following morning
IngredientsFor the pancakes:
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 115g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 25g butter, melted
- 200ml whole milk
- 175g mild Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 12 thin slices lean ham
Cut the pancakes in half and wrap them individually in greaseproof paper for a great snack on the move.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 6. Lightly grease a shallow ovenproof dish with a little oil. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the egg and melted butter. Gradually whisk in the milk to form a smooth batter. Set aside for 30 mins.
- Stir the batter. Lightly brush a small frying pan with a little of the remaining oil and heat until hot. Spoon in 3tbsp batter, tilting the pan back and forth to coat the bottom. Cook over a moderate heat for 1-2 mins until lightly golden then flip over and cook for a further 1 min.
- Turn on to a wire rack lined with baking parchment and continue the process to make 12 pancakes in total, stacking each in between sheets of parchment.
- Sprinkle each pancake with a little cheese all over, and lay a slice of ham on top. Roll up tightly and place side by side in the dish. Bake for about 15 mins until hot and melting. Serve immediately.