Crunchy oat granola
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
If you’re on a special diet, it can be difficult and expensive to buy the right readymade breakfast cereals to suit your requirements. This recipe for crunchy oat clusters can be added to or kept simple depending on what you fancy. The addition of cinnamon and sweet sticky honey makes it a real treat
- 300g jumbo rolled oats
- 150g Scottish porridge oats
- 4tbsp clear honey
- 6tbsp vegetable oil
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 225g seedless raisins
- Assorted fresh berries and milk to serve
This is a very versatile recipe. For a nutty flavour, add a handful of sunflower and sesame seeds to the mixture before baking, or mix in other dried fruits like cranberries or chopped prunes instead of the raisins.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
- Put the oats in a bowl and mix in the honey, oil, cinnamon and vanilla. Stir well to make sure everything is coated then spread evenly across the lined baking tray. Bake in the oven for about 30 mins, tuning occasionally, until lightly golden all over. Carefully mix in the raisins and leave to cool on the tray.
- To serve, break up the oat mixture into clusters and serve with fresh milk and prepared berries. Store in an airtight container for up to a week