Mexican-style breakfast sausages
Skill level: Easy peasy
You can make this tasty sausage mixture as spicy hot as you dare. Juicy chunks of pork sausage cooked with onion, green chilli and fresh tomatoes makes a tasty alternative to the traditional fry up
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 6 chunky pork sausages, sliced into small chunks
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1/2- 1tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 mild green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 large vine ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 8 potato cakes or small plain pancakes
- Parsley to garnish
For an extra hearty breakfast, top each portion with a fried or poached egg.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the onion for 5 mins. Add the sausages, spices and chilli and cook, stirring, for about 10 mins until the sausage is lightly golden all over.
- Add the tomato and continue to cook, stirring, for a further 7-8 mins until the tomatoes are soft and the sausage is cooked through.
- To serve, heat the pancakes according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Arrange 2 per serving plate and spoon over the spicy sausage mix. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.