Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These aubergine sliders make a great alternative to a veggie burger. For anyone trying to cut back on carbs, think of them as base-free pizzas. When baked, aubergines turn deliciously soft and nutty in texture. We’ve topped them with a stringy gruyere but any cheese you fancy will work, try salty crumbled Feta and some sliced black olives for a Greek twist or sliced buffalo tomatoes, basil and gooey mozzarella for an Italian influence
- 2 aubergines sliced into 1inch round slices
- 2tbsp oil
- 250g grated gruyere cheese
- 1tsp of mixed dried herbs
These would make a great fancy starter; just add a ball of rocket leaves and a drizzle of pesto around the plate.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F/Gas Mark 6. Oil an ovenproof dish lightly before placing the aubergine rounds flat in a single layer. Drizzle them with oil and bake for 15mins until almost cooked through.
- Sprinkle over the cheese and the mixed herbs and return to the oven to melt for another 5-10mins until golden and bubbling and serve.