Mini orange and coconut custard tarts
Skill level: Easy peasy
If you’re having people over for nibbles or a party, then this is a great little canapé recipe. The zesty orange perfectly complements the sweetness of the coconut and custard and who can resist something that looks this tasty? We’ve made this recipe for kids’ parties and they’ve gone down a treat plus they’ve been a regular addition to our New Year’s Eve party menus over the last couple of years. Give our orange, coconut and custard tarts a go at your next family get together and let us know how they turn out
- 1 can of condensed milk
- 300ml pot of double cream
- 6 egg yolks
- Zest of one large orange
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 2 packets 320g pre-rolled puff pastry
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6
- Pour the can of condensed milk into a saucepan and add the 6egg yolks.
- Beat together to combine then add the double cream. Put on a low-to-medium hob and stir thoroughly until thickened, this will happen as the mixture reaches boiling point. Avoid over boiling as it will burn very easily, so make sure you stir the mixture steadily and consistently throughout and never leave the pan unattended.
- Stir in the orange zest and coconut evenly. Leave to cool.
- Take the 2 puff pastry sheets out of the box and remove all packaging.
- Roll each flat sheet up like a Swiss roll and divide each roll into 10 pieces, making a total of 20 pieces.Each piece will look like a spiral or a slice of Swiss roll.
- Place them spiral-down onto the floured work surface and roll flat. Push this into each individual muffin tray compartment. You can trim the edges for neatness or leave them rough.
- Spoon the custard mixture into the pastry cases and put in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until brown on top.