Skill level: Bit of effort
These American pancakes are light and fluffy and should be served stacked high for that all American breakfast feel! A great weekend breakfast when you have a little more time to spare or just when you want to treat yourself. Not to forget the one day of the year when you can eat pancakes all day - Pancake Day of course! These America pancakes are delicious served simply with a berry compote and a spoonful of yogurt. Go all out with crispy bacon rashers and heavy drizzles of maple syrup if you want a real treat. Perfect if you have friends coming round for a lazy Sunday brunch as you can make ahead, store wrapped in foil in the fridge and then just warm through in a low oven to serve.
Make these pancakes extra special by adding a handful of fresh blueberries to the pancake mixture then fry as above.
IngredientsFor the American pancakes
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 medium free range egg
- 300ml semi skimmed milk
- 20g butter
For the fruit compote:
- 1 orange, juiced
- 3tbps caster sugar
- 150g blueberries or blackberries
- 150g raspberries
- 4 heaped tbsp natural yogurt, to serve
- In a large bowl sieve the flour and baking powder then make a small well in the centre.
- Lightly beat the egg in a jug then mix with the milk. Pour a little into the flour at a time whisking continuously until you have a thick smooth batter.
- Heat the butter in a large non stick frying pan and spoon in large tablespoons of batter for each pancake. Cook for 2-3 mins before flipping and cooking for a further 2-3 mins until golden. Keep warm while you cook the remaining pancakes.
- To make the fruit compote: place the orange juice and sugar in a small saucepan and gently heat for 5 mins until the sugar has dissolved. Add the blackberries and blueberries and simmer for 5 mins until the berries pop and release their juices. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Stack 2-3 American pancakes on a plate and drizzle over the compote and serve with 1 tbsp yogurt.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.