Carrot and butternut squash soup
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
This easy carrot and butternut squash soup recipe is perfect for the whole family. There are days when only soup will do, when you can have a soothing, veg-packed meal and dunk in hunks of bread slathered in butter. The great thing about soup is that, with just a few cheap ingredients, you can make up a big batch and keep it in the fridge or freezer. For this velvety squash soup recipe, you’ll only need nine ingredients that are really cheap and easy to get from the supermarket. This simple sunshine bowl of soup will brighten up any grey day. This soup serves 6 people, so it’s enough to feed your family and you can keep leftovers for lunch the next day. Packed with nutrients, this butternut squash soup is a healthy way to up your five-a-day and the best part is that it’s also really quick to make. Making this butternut squash soup will only take 40 mins from scratch, but only 10 mins to prepare, so you can leave it to bubble away for half an hour while you carry on with your day. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and the rest can be frozen.
For a fiery kick, add a diced chilli. Remember, the smaller the chilli, the hotter the taste. Fry with onions in step 1.
- 2 onions chopped
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- Salt and freshly crack black pepper
- 1.5 litres hot vegetable stock
- Parsley for garnishing
- Crème fraiche for garnishing
- In a large pan, fry the onions in oil until translucent and soft. Add squash and carrots and stir, cooking for a further 5 minutes. Add thyme and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour over stock and bring to boil. Allow to simmer gently for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Using a hand blender or a liquidiser, blend to a smooth soup. If too thick, add a little more stock until desired consistency is achieved.
- Divide soup into bowls and serve with a dollop of crème fraiche and parsley.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.