Lower-fat chicken and vegetable pies
Skill level: Bit of effort
Compared to most types of pastry, filo has a low fat content so it does mean if you’re cutting back on calories, you can still have your pie and eat it! For a vegetarian option, use a good mix of fresh vegetables instead of the chicken.
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 350g cooked lean chicken, cut into small pieces
- 250g frozen diced vegetable mix
- 250g readymade white sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large sheets filo pastry
- 1 medium egg, beaten
For an Italian flavoured pie, replace the white sauce with a readymade tomato pasta or pizza sauce.
- rPre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 6. Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently fry the onion for 5 mins, stirring, until softened. Leave to cool then stir in the chicken and frozen vegetables.
- Divide the chicken mixture between 4 x 10cm round, shallow ovenproof dishes. Spoon over the sauce, season lightly and place on a large baking tray.
- Lay the sheets of pastry on the work surface and brush with egg, then scrunch up each sheet to make a loose “rosette” shape and place one on top of each portion of chicken, making sure it is completely covered.
- Brush the pastry tops with more egg. Bake for about 30 mins until golden, crisp and piping hot. Serve immediately with fresh vegetables or a crisp salad.