Chocolate and coconut party bites
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
We absolutely love this recipe for chocolate and coconut party bites. Covered in sprinkles, these little treats will last next to no time at a kids' birthday party so make sure you bake plenty. Get the children involved in the process - they'll love dipping the sprinkles on at the end and moulding the 'mountains'.
These are great for kids' parties as they can be made the day before.
- 225g desiccated coconut
- 140g ground almonds
- 200g icing sugar
- 3-4 egg whites
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 300g milk chocolate
- 1 pot of sugar sprinkles (poured into a bowl)
- Pre heat oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2
- Whisk egg whites until stiff but not dry. Sift in the icing sugar and fold in gently. Add the ground almonds and coconut one half at a time and stir to combine - the mixture will not be quite stiff.
- Grease one or two oven trays and line with baking paper. Using your fingers, mould the mixture into little mountains and place on to the baking paper, leaving a little space in between each one.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the party bites are cooling on a rack, melt 300g of milk chocolate in a glass bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water - it must be set just above the water line.
- Once the chocolate is melted, dip each mountain base in the chocolate first and then lightly dip into the sprinkles.
- Turn each one upside down and allow the chocolate to set for about 1 hour in a cool place before serving,
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.