Mini chilli beef pies
Skill level: Bit of effort
These tasty small and savoury meat pies can be served warm or cold with a crisp green salad. Perfect for a snack, packed lunch or picnic, you can make them as chilli-spiced as you like
- 175g lean beef mince
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½-1tsp hot chilli powder, to taste
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 50g cooked kidney beans
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten, to glaze
This is a versatile recipe so you can change the filling to any minced meat, and add your own spices to taste. Replace the beans with sweetcorn if preferred.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 6.Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin or deep cup cake tin. Put the mince in a bowl and mix inthe onion, chilli to taste, tomato and kidney beans. Season well. Set aside.
- Roll out the pastry thinly on a lightlyfloured surface. Using a 9cm round pastry cutter, stamp out 9 circles,reserving the trimmings. Gently press each circle into the tins. Put a portionof filling in each and pack down well to just below the pastry rim. Brush theexposed pastry with water.
- Roll out the trimmings thinly and stamp out 9 x 6cm rounds, re-rolling asnecessary. Press a circle of pastry ontop of each pie and pinch the edges together to seal. Make a hole in the centreof each and brush the tops with egg.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 mins until golden and cooked through. Cool for 10mins, before carefully removing from the tins and transferring to a wire rack.Serve warm or allow to cool completely. Delicious with chilli tomato sauce and acrisp salad.