Mini strawberry crostatas
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
If you get phased by making your own fruit tarts, this is the easiest recipe ever. You can fill these free-form cases with any soft fruit you like or slices of apple, pear or plums. Serve with some vanilla ice cream or custard for that extra bit of indulgence
- 375g packet readymade sweet shortcrust pastry
- 8tbsp soft set strawberry jam
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 300g strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- 1 egg white, beaten, to glaze
For a creamier filling, replace the jam with thick custard or spread with sweetened full fat soft cheese.
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C/425°F/Fan 200°C/Gas Mark 7. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment. Divide the pastry into 4 equal pieces and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll out each piece to form a roughly shaped round approx. 20cm diameter.
- Mix the jam and vanilla and then spread 2tbsp in the centre of each. Arrange and layer strawberry slices on top to within 4cm of the edge.
- Bring up the sides of the pastry, pleating and pinching together to enclose the strawberries and make a case, but leaving the top open.
- Carefully transfer each pastry case to the baking tray and brush with egg white. Bake for 20 mins until lightly golden. Serve warm or cold with ice cream or yoghurt.