Cheese and poppy seed straws
Prep time:including chilling time
Total time:including chilling time
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Cheese and poppy seed straws are a great all year round party nibble or the perfect low cost snack for kids. These cheese and poppy seed straws are popular appetisers made from rolled out buttery puff pastry, scattered with different types of hard cheeses, then twisted and baked until golden and crisp. They make the perfect party canapé as they could not be easier to make and can be adapted to use different cheeses and spices. A really handy recipe for any holiday period as no one can resist a cheese straw! Another bonus is they are so simple to make you can get the kids to help you bake them.
- 100g parmesan
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tbsp plain flour
- 500g puff pastry
- 1 large free range egg white
- 4tbsp poppy seeds
Try brushing with chilli jam for a spicy glaze or rolling in cracked black pepper instead of poppy seeds.
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Grease two large baking sheets. Grate the parmesan into a bowl and toss with the paprika.
- Lightly dust a surface with the flour and sprinkle over the cheese. Roll out the puff over the cheese to a rectangle roughly 25cm x 30cm. Trim the sides and cut into 2cm wide lengths. Brush one edge with the egg white then dip into the poppy seeds pressing lightly so they stick.
- Transfer each slice onto a baking sheet twisting each the opposite directions. Leave space between each twist and chill for 30 mins in the fridge until firm.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until golden and puffed. Leave to col on their trays.