Cherry and pistachio Biscotti
Skill level: Bit of effort
These twice baked Italian biscuits are wonderful for dunking in tea, coffee or sweet dessert wine as they are perfectly crunchy. They can make a perfect make ahead foodie gift as they look so impressive just pop in a clear bag or gift box and tie with a ribbon. Studded with dried fruit, nuts or chocolate they can be the perfect accompaniment to homemade ice cream or just as a little treat when you want something sweet. Make in different shapes or sizes and mix up the flavour by substituting the nuts and fruits with your favourites.
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 2 oranges, zested
- 300g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 75g shelled pistachio nuts
- 75g hazelnuts
- 100g glacé cherries, roughly chopped
Biscotti can keep up to a month after baking so why not make some as gifts?
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Line two flat baking sheets with baking parchment. Place the sugar, eggs and orange zest into a bowl and using an electric hand mixer whisk together until well combined.
- Fold through the flour, baking powder, nuts and cherries until evenly distributed and you have a sticky dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and bring together until the dough is smooth.
- Divide the dough into two and mold each into 30cm logs. Transfer to the baking sheets and bake for 30 mins until golden.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 10 mins. Reduce the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2.
- When the biscotti is just cool enough to handle cut into 1cm slices and lay out over the baking sheets. Return to the oven for a further 10 mins until golden.
Looking for food gifts? We've got plenty more to choose from!