Beef and vegetable stir-fry
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Stir fries make for convenient, quick and easy midweek meals. What's more they're super healthy, so if you're watching your waistline, this is a great low-calorie option that actually leaves you feeling full. The chillies in this stir fry recipe give it a good amount of heat, while the soy sauce and sesame oil bring authentic flavours. Convincing kids to eat a plate of non-disguised vegetables can be a bit of a struggle but encouraging them to eat it with chopsticks can make the meal a special treat! If you have a bit of time beforehand then marinade the beef strips in soy sauce, honey and chopped ginger
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 400g stir fry beef strips
- 1 onion, sliced
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 red chillies, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 300g broccoli, broken into bite-sized florets
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp sesame oil
One trick to a successful stir-fry is to use a stick-free pan.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large pan and stir-fry the beef for two to three minutes.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, chillies and garlic and cook for a further minute. Toss well.
- Tip in the broccoli, peppers and soy sauce and cook for two more minutes.
- Take off the heat, drizzle with sesame oil, season to taste and serve immediately.