Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
With a pastry case at the ready you can make this easy, delicious, veg-rich supper in under an hour. This creamy vegetable quiche recipe brings together garden green favourites, peas and courgettes, complemented with fragrant parsley and Italian Parmasan. Cut the quiche into wedges and pack as part of a picnic, or serve with salad and eat in the garden for a fun al fresco dinner. This is a popular dish for families as one quiche easily feeds six people. To make this quiche recipe vegetarian use Gruyère cheese or Emmental cheese instead of Parmasan cheese
- 1 deep 24cm blind-baked pastry case
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 80g courgettes, grated
- 80g peas, defrosted if using frozen
- 2tbsp chopped parsley
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 100ml crème fraiche
- 100ml double cream
- 50g Parmesan cheese, grated (or vegetarian alternative)
Switch a shortcrust pastry case for puff pastry for added texture and crunch.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add the grated courgette to the pan for a further 5 minutes, stirring frequently, then add the peas for a final 5 minutes.
- Tip the sautéed vegetables into a mixing bowl and stir in the parsley, eggs, crème fraiche and cream.
- Pour the filling into the pastry case and scatter with Parmesan.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Serve sliced either warm or cool.