Fig, blue cheese and salami pizza
Skill level: Bit of effort
The best thing about making pizza at home is that you can try out all sorts of weird and wonderful topping combinations. This one seemed a bit strange at first but it works really well. The sweet, fresh figs marry up perfectly with the salty salami and blue cheese. The pizza dough is thin and crispy, so you can be generous with the toppings. We've also added some green chillis for a bit of heat and made a quick, homemade tomato sauce for the base. The whole things is ready in less than 45 minutes which is less time than it would take to get a pizza delivered, so why not give it a try?!
IngredientsFor the pizza base
- 250g strong white flour
- 4g dried yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 150ml warm water
For the topping
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1tsp balsamic vinager
- 100g blue cheese
- 200g salami
- 4 fresh figs, cut into quarters
- 1 green chilli
If you haven't got much time it isn't essential that you leave the dough to prove. Just kneed it for slightly longer and then roll out. The base won't be quite as light but it will still taste delicious.
- Tip the flour, yeast and salt into a free-standing mixer or food processor, or bowl (if doing by hand) and slowly add the warm water until the dough comes together. Then add the rapeseed oil and kneed/mix for 10 minutes. The dough should feel moist and springy - add more water/flour as needed.
- Put the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Fan 200°C/Gas Mark 7.
- Cut the tomatoes into chunks and put in a small saucepan with the garlic, balsamic and a little oil over a high heat. Cook rapidly until the sauce thickens. Season and set aside.
- Knock the air out of the dough and then roll into a rectangle shape, using a rolling pin. When the dough is even, transfer to a large non-stick baking sheet.
- Smear the base with the tomato sauce, going right to the edges. Then dot the pizza with the other ingredients, making sure it's evenly covered.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the base is crisp, making sure the topping doesn't burn. Serve immediately with a green salad.