Roasted root vegetable lasagne
Skill level: Bit of effort
If you've always made lasagne with meat, then why not try a roasted vegetable version? It's healthier and a really easy way to get your family to eat some of their five-a-day. This roasted root vegetable lasagne is perfect for a cold winter's evening. And how about making it for Boxing Day with all your leftover veg from Christmas lunch? There's no need to stick to just root vegetables either. Make it in the summer with courgettes, fennel and fresh peas. Once you've tried the recipe once, just start experimenting with different vegetables and cheeses until it becomes a real family favourite.
- 3 large parsnips
- 3 large carrots
- 1 celeriac
- 1 red onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 packet dried lasagne sheets
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 250g mozzarella, chopped
- 80g unsalted butter
- 80g plain flour
- 1 litre full fat milk
- 50g parmesan, grated
- 50g cheddar, grated
The lasagne can be kept in the fridge, cooked or uncooked for two days before serving. If cooked, simply reheat and serve with a green salad.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Peel and chop the carrots, parsnips and celeriac into chunky cubes. Roughly chop the onion and put everything into a large roasting tray. Bruise the cloves of garlic and add them too. Finely chop the rosemary and add this along with the olive oil and vinegar. Season and give everything a good mix before roasting in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the veg from the oven, pour over both tins of tomatoes, mix and set aside.
- Add the butter to a saucepan over a medium heat. Once melted stir in the flour and cook for a minute. Remove from the heat and slowly add the milk, a little at a time, while stirring so no lumps form. Put it back on the heat until the sauce thickens. Season and remove from the heat.
- Now you're ready to assemble. Using a large oven-proof tray, spoon one-third of the vegetables over the base, followed by one-third of the white sauce, then a layer of lasagne and then one-third of the mozzarella.
- Repeat this process until all the ingredients are used and you end up with a layer of lasagne. Add the grated cheese to the top, season and bake in the oven for 45 minutes until golden and bubbly.