Spicy egg mayonnaise
Makes: 4 sandwiches
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Jazz up lunchbox rolls with a twist on classic egg mayonnaise. This recipe combines hard boiled eggs with mayonnaise and then a spicy bloody-mary style sauce. You'll find all the ingredients you need in your kitchen cupboard - tomato sauce, Worcester sauce and Tabasco. If you're making these for a kids' birthday party, just leave out the Tabasco and add a little less Worcester sauce. For a crunchy alternative at lunchtime, serve your egg mayo on pieces of lettuce.
- 5 free-range eggs
- 5 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- Worcester sauce to taste
- Tabasco to taste
- Salt & pepper
You'll find your eggs much easier to peel if you break the egg shells and then plunge into cold water as soon as they're cooked.
- Put the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and then time for 6 minutes.
- Drain the water from the pan, keeping the eggs in there. Lightly move the pan around so the eggs bash against the side and the shell breaks. Cover with cold water and leave.
- Mix the mayonnaise, tomato sauce, Worcester sauce and Tabasco in a bowl.
- When the eggs are cool, peel the shells and mash them into the other ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.