Fried potatoes with chive and pink pepper dip
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Make your fish or chicken dinner with a difference by swapping mash for these fried potatoes with chive and pink pepper dip. Potato is so versatile, so why not make it as a snack on skewers and serve with the dip on the side? This is one the kids will love too as a change from chips, or serve to guests if you're looking for a side to impress.
- 675g all purpose potatoes
- 4tbsp vegetable oil
- 25g butter or margarine
- Garlic salt to season
- 250g Greek yogurt
- A small bunch fresh chives
- 1tsp pink peppercorns, crushed
Pink peppercorns add a pretty splash of colour to any savoury dish. If preferred, simply use crushed black peppercorns instead. Use chopped spring onions instead of the chives for a more “biting” oniony flavour.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks about 3cm thick. Put in a saucepan and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Cook for 6-7 mins until semi-cooked, taking care not to cook completely. Drain well and cool for 10 mins.
- Put the oil in a large frying pan with the butter and heat until the bubbling. Add the potatoes and cook, turning occasionally, for about 15 mins until golden and completely cooked through. Drain well.
- To serve, put the potatoes in a warm serving dish and season with garlic salt. Mix the yogurt with some salt to season, then snip the chives with a pair of scissors into the dip and sprinkle a few over the potatoes. Mix the peppercorns into the dip and serve immediately alongside the potatoes.