Spicy baked chickpeas
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These spiced chickpeas make a delicious alternative to the usual bowls of nuts and crisps that are usually served up with pre-dinner drinks, and they’re much healthier too! Chickpeas aren’t just cheap and delicious – they pack a good hit of protein, zinc and fibre in every portion, and even count towards your 5 a day. All you need is a dash of cayenne, a dusting of cumin, a pinch of garlic and a sprinkle of salt, and you can turn the humble chickpea into a tasty, crunchy nibble that’s definitely worthy of a space on your next party table
- 400g tin chickpeas
- 1tsp cayenne pepper
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp cumin
- 1tsp salt
- 2tbsp olive oil
The chickpeas are best served warm, but they will keep in an airtight container for 2-3 days if you do have any left over.
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C/345°F/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then leave to dry on a sheet of kitchen roll.
- Measure out the salt and spices into a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Drizzle a baking sheet with the olive oil. Transfer the dried chickpeas onto the tray and shake so that they roll around and become coated in the oil.
- Sprinkle over the spice mix and repeat the shaking process until each chickpea has an even coating of salt and spice.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, shaking the tray regularly to turn the chickpeas and prevent burning.
- Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes, and serve warm.