Griddled halloumi and watermelon salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
This savoury and refreshing salad contains an unusual combination of juicy watermelon and salty halloumi but trust us it works! It is the perfect light salad for a warm day when you would rather be outside enjoying the sunshine than slaving away in the kitchen. It only takes 20 minutes to prepare and cook this gorgeous dish so you will be outside enjoying your lunch in no time. Halloumi is a firm and salty cheese which makes it perfect for slicing and griddling. When paired with the refreshing taste of watermelon you have an unusual but delicious match
- ½ x 1.5kg watermelon
- 4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 250g halloumi
- 150g Mixed baby leaf salad leaves
- 1tbsp fresh basil, finely sliced
- Edible flowers, optional
Try to serve the halloumi hot as it is a quite rubbery cheese which is accentuated when it cools
- Remove the rind and pips from the watermelon, and cut into 2.5cm cubes. Mix 3tbsp of olive oil and the balsamic vinegar together and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the halloumi lengthways into eight slices and toss in the remaining 1tbsp olive oil. Place a griddle pan over a medium heat and cook each slice for 30-60 seconds on each side, or until there are golden brown griddle marks on each side.
- To serve divide the salad leave between four plates, scatter with watermelon cubes and top each salad with 2 slices of halloumi. Drizzle over the dressing, add a few slices of basil leaves and some edible flowers.